Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Hike #1 - Ranger Hole


It's been rainy and cold for weeks [what's new? this is Washington, after all]. So I've been wimpy out and there hasn't been a lot of hiking going on. But we did manage to get one good fall hike in a few weeks ago before the bad weather hit. Now I'll have a couple of bad months to catch up on my blogging and post some hike photos until the nice spring weather comes again.

The hike I chose to be our first is called "Ranger Hole" and is located near Brinnon, WA, just south of the Dosewallips river. It was less than 2-miles round-trip and didn't have a steep incline to deal with so it seemed like a good trail for beginners. Plus, it was the one offered in my hiking book that was the shortest drive from our house. I figured if I had to drag Joe along with me on this adventure, we might as well not have to drive 4 hours to get there and back.

The cool weather had its benefits - there was only one other car parked at the trailhead. And the trail was just about perfect for someone who hasn't done this in a loooong time. It wove through the forest and underneath all of the evergreens and golden fall leaves for 0.8 miles, with a steep downhill trail towards the end as you near the Duckabush river. And such a river! The view is from some craggy rock cliffs overlooking a rapids that forms a brilliant blue pool. According to the info at the trailhead, this trail was blazed by the local ranger as a route to his favorite fishing hole, hence the name. It makes sense, but I have to say it still makes me grin to say or type it [I know, I know...that's just my immaturity coming out, as usual].

The rocks are a perfect stop for a picnic, even though the hike is so short that it's not likely you've worked up much appetite at this point. And you can explore a little bit in each direction up the shore of the river and down the rocky cliffs (carefully!) for some good photo-ops. Then, unfortunately, you have to face that steep uphill climb to get back to the trailhead. Ouch!! That's where I could really tell how out-of-shape I really was!


Near the end, there's a little quarter-mile loop called the "Interrorem trail" (don't ask) with interpretive signs about the history of the trail and ranger station. There's a little cabin which is available to rent. It's not very private, what with the parking lot for the trailhead right there, but it does look charming. Apparently, this was the first ranger outpost built in the Olympic forest, or something like that. I love that it's still standing and open to the public after all of these years. There's even a working water pump out front!

Joe & I managed this hike and had enough fun that we were psyched up for the next one as we drove away through the forest, my new shoes a little more muddy for the wear. I just hope the weather cooperates with us and provides another clear afternoon before too long!

1 comment:

Now we are four! said...

Drag Joe on a hike? I went willingly!! I'd go anywhere with you. Even after all these years together!! ;)